Sunday, March 18, 2018

Poverty.

Week two of deciding to go to church. And actually looking forward to going to church. Kinda strange how crashing my bike seems to have led to suddenly belonging in a church.

This week was the last of the Inclusive Church series (v disappointed I missed all but the last two), and it was on poverty. The focus was on poverty as a form of inequality, that puts stress on relationships and is a threat to identity, and also to physical and mental health. Thus its opposition (?) to Christianity, which Revd Hackwood described as Freedom and Equality. Equality in a christian sense being equality of relationships. Jesus' approach is that everyone has an intrinsic dignity, that gives us all equality.

He also looked at the historical view of poverty, with the 'poor' in Jesus' time being 'outside of the system', and the change in the role of the welfare state (or at least often the end result of) since its inception. Post war it provided support until people found a job after returning. Now it often creates dependency and therefore captivity, with 'users' being neither valued or included in society. Also rather than bridging the gap into work, a great deal of poverty is now 'in work' poverty.

My thoughts? Well having spent two weeks unemployed after escaping the hell hole that was HP I understand the loss of dignity and identity. I went from an educated professional to a nobody as soon as my contract ended. I felt so worthless waiting in the job centre for my first interview I sat there and cried. And this was only in two weeks. It didn't take long to get a job, but when that job only guarantees you 8 hours of work each week and you are desperate for any shift you can get then it doesn't seem like much of a step up. However, when you've just got back from Uganda your view of your own situation changes.

One thing from the talk today that shocked me most was the definition of poverty given. Apparently if your household is living on 60% of the average income.. so currently £16k then you are classed as living in poverty. So, despite working a full time job and several part time jobs I am technically living in poverty. So you can laugh and say 'well, that's why a certain 9 year old frequently accuses me of being tight!', or you can question lots of things about society. The speaker today said that pages and pages of comments on an online newspaper article he wrote were essentially saying that those in poverty are 'the scum of the earth', and that its a self inflicted plight for not trying hard enough, in school, at work, to find a job etc.

So, I work several jobs, usually 6+days a week. And still I'm 'living in poverty'. Its not like I'm too lazy to do the hours. Its actually that the job I feel I was made for (CSA in a special school) is really poorly paid. The £940 a month it pays just about covers most of the bills. if I cycle everywhere and live on pasta and cereal. And settle for living in a flat. The rest of the jobs pay for everything else, a bit more food, and some diesel, and the cash to do most of my shopping at the local car boot. The extra, extra jobs pay for the lego obsession. So, I'm not lazy, and I did try at school. My PhD has actually stopped me getting jobs rather than providing a lucrative fulfilling career (still value it immensely though).

I could get upset (and sometimes I do) and rant at God (and often do) that despite a lifetime of hard work and 'doing the right thing' I'm in this situation. Or, I could consider myself extremely fortunate. Fortunate that I got out of the divorce without being married with something rather than nothing. Fortunate that I've only spent 2 weeks unemployed. Very very fortunate that banks won't lend me enough for the upgrade to a house, but my parents will (and knowing them 'loan' may be a very loose term). I am extremely lucky to have my family, that have got my back. I will always have somewhere to go. They help me out when I need it, in lots of ways. I know people that dream of having somewhere of their own to live, but it seems like an impossible dream, despite working hard and saving. With a County Council paycheque, the numbers just don't add up.

I'm also lucky to have friends. That employ me. That will let me live in their spare room when I soon become homeless. That shout me lunch on a day out, so that I can spend the £20 I worked a job before school started in the morning for four days to earn on Lego at the event, rather than worrying how much dinner was going to cost. That invite me over for tea. That don't mind that most of their kid's birthday and Christmas presents come from the car boot or a charity shop (at least, they've never said). That give me a present when I am ill, or just because they can. That give me lifts. That give me their unwanted Lego....

Anyway...

The last sentence of the talk today was the only one I maybe disagreed with. Not sure I understood his meaning, but it sounded like he was saying that the other issues covered, gender and sexuality, were all very well, but that poverty affects a person's identity and relationships. I doubt he meant to belittle the other issues, but it sounded as though he didn't understand that gender, sexuality, ethnicity, disability also affect identity, and relationships, and a person's dignity. I could cynically wonder if that's because he comes at Inclusivity from the position of a white middle class able male, but I think that would be harsh. He is right certainly that poverty is an area of inequality that can suddenly affect anyone, regardless of all other labels.

Saying the Affirmation of Faith last week really hit me. To know that I am welcome in this church. Today it really hit me hearing the gentleman stood next to me saying it. And thinking "I no longer have to fear you".


Last thought for the Inclusive Church theme.... I just need to be black and then I'll have the full house!

No comments: