Monday, May 07, 2018

Genderquake

So. Watched a documentary on Channel 4 tonight called Genderquake in which people from the LGBTQI community and some straight people all go into a house together. Yet again I realise what a sheltered life I lead and how much I have to learn. I think I cope with life by keeping busy and not thinking. Then things come along that make you have to think, have to explain yourself. Like the Gender sermon and discussion during lent. I don't know if its that I didn't really think about what I am before that, or if its just easier now that I am aware of the concepts and terms and definitions that I can go 'yeah, that... I'm that". Now that I know that there is a thing called gender queer, and non-binary, its a lot easier to identify with that. And it helps to know that 'both' and 'not sure' and 'it changes' is ok, and other people also think/feel that.

As to the programme specifically, I found the definitions on screen at the start really helpful, and those people that spoke about their childhood and who they are now really helpful. I guess the two straight, gender binary people have been chosen because they have such binary views of gender. It looks like the man is open to rethinking, but the woman not. I'm feeling sorry for her though, as she seems to have fallen for a guy that hasn't been open about being trans and i don't think she will cope with that. Which leads to the most interesting point. Some of the housemates noticed when this guy went swimming that he had scars from surgery, implying that he was trans. They then spread this gossip around behind his back. Initially I thought that the man who asked him about it to his face was doing more the right thing, but his subsequent attitude makes me want to give him a slap! It raises the questions though... at what point do you stop being trans, and be just a guy? and also who does that information belong to.. should a trans person have to be honest and open about it or can they just live as their new gender? who needs to know? at what point in a relationship does the other party need to know?

Anyway.. feeling more confident about my own identity.. particularly after the Suffragettes show  last night, which I left feeling considerably more confident and proud that when I arrived... but significantly more bothered about my appearance... since this morning's disastrous attempt to deal with my roots.. resulting in clumps of hair falling out and the remainder being like straw. Sigh.

No comments: