Sunday, April 15, 2018

Inclusive: more than just welcoming

First time I've seen my board game friends since starting to go to AS. Been talking through the events of the last few weeks. Some brilliant and affirming and bringing me closer to God. Other events more in the 'er, seriously?!' category. Some helpful advice on the way forward with that category, but the most important topic of conversation was that of inclusivity in churches.

These friends are gay. One would still describe herself as a christian. The other, quite forcibly, not.

The key point they both made, with regard to inclusivity on the grounds of sexuality was that it is not enough for churches to be 'ok with' people being gay, (particularly when they are single, and it's more of a theoretical issue). They need to be ok with them having a partner, they need to support that person in their relationship, they need to encourage and value as they would anyone else. And on this particular issue, churches don't just need to accept and welcome... they need to heal the damage that has almost certainly been done by churches and christians and religion to these people in the past.

They let me record a little bit of our discussion (as they talk way too fast for me to make any sort of notes) so hopefully I will be able to use more of their ideas. Ideally this will be a starting point for an idea I have for an Inclusive Church stand at the church fete. Sadly this event is not inclusive to those who have to work on a Thursday afternoon and so can't make the meetings!!

My only other criticism of AS is that its impossible to dance during worship. I miss being able to worship through the drums. Either playing or dancing about while Tyler was playing. Its the only thing the previous two churches did really well. I'd still take AS over them though. And then wait till I get home at 9pm and trawl you tube for a decent version of the hymn from the morning...


Best I could find. I'd prefer a bit more celtic toms action, but Rend Collective apparently haven't done a version.


No comments: